The Event Center
Passwords 2016 will take place in the Event Center (VZ) of the Ruhr University located under the Dining Hall (Mensa). You can find more information including a campus map here.
From Bochum Central Station to the Venue
The easiest way to get to the Ruhr University is by subway. Just go to the basement of the Bochum Central Station and take the subway U35, direction "Hustadt", and get out after about 10 minutes at the stop "Ruhr-Universität". In case you do not have a ticket yet you need a "EinzelTicket Preisstufe A (SingleTicket A)" at 2.60 Euro for the first ride.
The conference will take place at the event center ("Veranstaltungszentrum") of the Ruhr-University Bochum. When you arrive at the U35 subway station "Ruhr-Universität" head right at the end of the escalator. Continue walking straight and follow the signs to Passwords 2016. We made a very short video showing how to walk from the subway station to the event center. Further information how to reach the campus can be found here.
Sightseeing, Leisure, Food, and Drinking
Today, with a population of nearly 370,000, Bochum ranks among the 20 largest cities of Germany.
The most notable attractions of the city are:
- German Mining Museum - The most important mining museum in the world
- Bermuda3eck - The city's legendary nightlife district with a large choice of bars, clubs and restaurants
- Christmas Market - Is one of the most charming markets in the Ruhr region with more than 100 decorated market stalls
- City Park - Climb up the famous Bismarck tower, where you can get a great overview of Bochum and the park
- Townhall - In front of the city hall is a 15 ton bell made by Association for Mining and Cast Steel Manufacturing
- Planetarium Bochum - Enjoy a projection of the development of the universe on the dome of the planetarium
We spent quite some time and created this map with recommendations for some sights, restaurants, and bars in Bochum.
The Beckmanns Hof, a protected monument, has reopened in 2012 as the International Convention Centre of the Ruhr-Universität Bochum. It is located next to the Botanical Garden of the RUB. The historical building was modernized and expanded and is now handicapped accessible. Our conference guests can enjoy the exquisite kitchen.